This year is going to be crucial. The Australian government has made some significant, first-time-ever changes to its immigration program and some crucial changes are expected to take place.
Let’s remind ourselves again.
- The 457 visa will finally be replaced with the Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visa in March. More details on this will be announced in February.
- New occupation lists have been announced this week. Some of the occupations have been removed from the Short-term Skilled Occupation List while others have been added to the list. More occupations will also be made eligible for the Training 407 visa.
- Government may introduce mandatory provisional visas before permanent residency in Australia.
- The current number of visas may be reduced from 99 to 10.
- Changes proposed to Partner Visa in 2017 were deferred to 2018. These include introducing a sponsorship framework for partner visas, placing more focus on the assessment of sponsors. Moreover, legalisation of same sex marriages will also change a few things in partner visas post-March 2018.