Australian nationals travelling to Brazil no longer need to obtain a pre-arranged visa through the Consulate-General of Brazil in Australia. Introduced on November 22, Australian passport holders can now apply for an e-visa that covers tourists and those in transit as well.
But there are some important points to remember:
- Applications for the e-visa can be made through the VFS Global website only.
- The total cost to apply is A$58.68, which is payable in US dollars by Visa and Mastercard only.
- Applications will generally be processed within five business days.
- If granted, e-visas will be valid for two years and multiple entries into Brazil, allowing holders to spend up to 90 days in the country per year
- A PDF file containing the e-visa will be sent to the recipient by email or offered for download online.
- Remember to bring at least two printed copies of your e-visa (sent to you as a PDF document). You will not be allowed to check-in with e-copies of your tickets on your smart phones, iPads or tablets. Even the passport control officials in Brazil will not accept any e-copies of your visa.