Over 70 students from five of NSW's most prestigious universities are facing charges after being identified in connection with a widespread cheating scandal involving their use of online essay writing company MyMaster.
To avoid using such forums to write for them, it is very important that students realise writing university essays is a regular part of academic life and nothing to be intimidated by. We’ve got some tips for you to write a good essay. All you need is:
- to understand the specific task;
- to ask your tutor pertinent questions when you have the chance;
- to break the essay down and address the different components one by one;
- to find the correct reading/ reference material;
- to understand and appraise the material;
- to choose the most applicable material to mention in your essay;
- to stick to the title of the essay and not deviate from the topic;
- to provide critical explanations and not descriptive writing;
- to arrive at a well-supported conclusion.
The word count need not be daunting at all, because it is actually hard to stop writing once you know what to say. Arriving at a clear idea of exactly how you will construct your essay and reading relevant material is half the battle won.
Be prepared to make multiple revisions. The first words you write may not be a part of the final version. Editing your writing as you develop your ideas is a constructive process: the more you cross out, re-write, and re-order, the better your essay will become. Editing is a fundamental part of the process not a discretionary extra. Constructive feedback can be a great guide to improving your final product.
Most university websites have self-help academic writing sections as well as writing support and speaking practice sessions that will assist you while you get the hang of writing a good essay. Don’t be afraid to ask for help from your academic and/ or support staff and it is advisable not to pay for university essays as education providers see it as a serious breach of conduct and will take severe actions that will negatively impact your education.